The Swiftcurrent Lodge is located on the 'old' road, the original entrance,
into Rocky Mountain National Park, which traveled to Trail Ridge Road and on over
to Grand Lake. This road was closed in 1959 after the construction of Highway 36
going into the National Park.
garage and the building next to it were built in 1921. The building next to the
garage which now comprises Cottages 9, 10 & 12, used to be Markís Grocery Store
and Texaco Gas Station. At one time, the garage housed stables, a tea room and
an ice house.
The two log sided buildings were built in 1933, and the 2-story
building was built in 1989, to replace an old log cabin (circa 1921) that was
in extremely bad repair. Our existing office once housed the Totem Gift Shop.
Your hosts, Gary & Coni were both born and raised in Denver, Colorado, and were
both introduced early in life to the wonder and beauty of the Colorado Rocky Mountains.
Both had family mountain cabins where they spent a lot of time.
Gary and Coni were married in Rocky Mountain National Park in 1995. They subsequently
found themselves spending most weekends together hiking and camping , only to be sad
and depressed having to drive back to the city on Sunday afternoons to prepare for
their weekday jobs.
Gary & Coni eventually found a solution to their problem... a way to live and
work in the mountains that they loved. In April of 1996, they purchased
Northís Park Lodge in Estes Park, rechristened it
as the Swiftcurrent Lodge and have operated it ever since.